Training & Employment
NT Friendship & Support have a partnership with GTNT a Registered Training Organisation to provide accredited and non-accredited training programs.
We offer self paced supported learning in the heart of Katherine.
Do you live in one of the communities or smaller towns outside of Katherine? Not a problem, we can organise transport and accommodation if required.
Talk to us today to learn how we can support you.
EqualiTEA – Training Employment and Activities
At NT Friendship & Support, we understand that it can sometimes be challenging for people with disability to find employment in The Territory, especially Katherine, Alice Springs and surrounding areas.
We also know that many people who want to work are missing out because they don’t necessarily tick all of the boxes required to fulfil a traditional job role.
That’s why we offer customised employment exploration and transition support services. These are designed to support people to discover their own unique skills and talents, and harness those talents to identify and create a job role or micro business that is tailored specifically to them.
How do EqualiTEA services work?
Rather than competing on the open labour market, customised employment exploration uses strategies that will support you to create your own opportunities and ‘carve out’ a job role or business opportunity that is tailored to your unique skillset and support needs. It seeks to negotiate a match between what skills you have to offer and what an employer needs, and provides the training and support that is necessary for you to be successful.
It relies on a collaborative approach between you, your family, supporters and employers.
What does this look like for you?
The first step is to contact us and speak with one of our Community Engagement staff. We will talk with you about your skills, talents, interests and networks. This will help us to identify vocational themes which are suited to you. This is a very individual process that can take anywhere from two months to two years, this is because it is is paced to work with your needs and abilities.
From this point, we provide tailored support where we can…
- Offer you an 8 week course in LEAP© – Learning about Employment with Active Planning. This course breaks down employment preparation and gives you a greater understanding of what employment is and all of the rules
- Develop an employment plan and resume which can then be used for job and/or business development;
- Approach employers who require your relevant skills;
- Develop a list of workplace partners: those that see the opportunity for a specific business need to be met using the skills and talents of the individual, and;
- Create opportunities for employment or self-employment, as well as one-to-one support to transition into the workplace itself.
Why does it work?
The key to success is customisation; the idea is that the pace and level of support is completely tailored to the needs of the individuals we support.
Like to learn more?
Click here to send us an email or phone 08-8971-0027